Friday, July 11, 2008

Woo! Here's a fun reason today is better!

Ha!  I just found a mistake!  There was no jurisdiction to hear the appeal, which basically meant the ATB had no authority to hear the case.  But, they heard the case anyway, and issued a decision.  The mistake was because one of the parties missed a deadline by one day.  Anywho, when I caught it I went, um, wait, that means this decision is null and void.  So I took it to my supervisor, who double checked the file, said I was right, told me it was a good catch, and said we have to revise our decision and dismiss the entire appeal for lack of jurisdiction.

I'm such a law nerd...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Although I read this twice it is still Greek to me...

BUT

You sound extremely excited for catching something that sounds very important so whether I understand why or not, that is enough for me to raise my hand and give the proverbial, virtual high five. WOO HOO!!

Bridgete said...

Hahaha. Yeah, I figured that wouldn't make sense to many people. But yes, the virtual high five is appropriate. Thanks!

pastrywitch said...

so, the case should not have been heard in the first place. because one party missed a deadline, the decision on the case was null and void.so the whole thing had to be thrown out because a) it shouldn't have happened and b) it happened incorrectly. Sounds like the basis for a Gilbert & Sullivan production. Good catch though!