Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Resolutions?

I never make resolutions. I don't think it's healthy to plan to change a habit that you've had all your life just because it's a new year, especially because you feel like crap when you don't succeed. I've never known anyone that could keep their New Year's resolution, which makes it just an unhealthy tradition in general. In fact, I've noticed that Lent (even though I'm not religious at all, let alone Catholic) seems to help people more than a New Year's resolution. It seems like giving up a vice for 40 days shows people how much better they feel without it, and they just end up sticking with the habit they picked up for those 40 days. And outside of traditional times to give things up, I believe that if there's something that you truly don't like about yourself or where you're life is heading, you shouldn't need a new year to spurn you to change it. Just do it, no matter when it is.

So anyways. Those are my usual reasons for not making resolutions. But this year I've added something new. This year, looking at where I am in my life and what I'm doing and where I'm going, I am genuinely happy. Thinking back on everything I accomplished this year, with getting in to law school, researching my financial options, finding an apartment, getting myself out to Boston, living alone for the first time, and making it through my first semester of law school without completely neglecting important things like food (both for me and for the cat) and sleep... I feel pretty damn good. So, I don't need to make a resolution. Unless it's to resolve to stay on the same path, but I have no reason to resolve to do that when the path I'm on makes me so happy.

Well, I'm home now, and Severus is snuggled up beside me. He is very happy I'm home. Sure, he got food and saw people very briefly... but I know he was lonely, he's such a people cat that being alone for so long must have been hard for him. My neighbor told me that he was crying a lot, especially in the evening, whenever he heard the door to the building open - I'm sure he thought I was finally coming home every time he heard that. Anyhow, I'm going to give him some attention now.

3 comments:

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Yea for happiness in 2008! That is so nice :)

CSD Faux Finishing said...

OK girl, you MUST be back in classes since your blog is growing cobwebs now lol...kidding...

Good luck with your schooling this semester, don't wear yourself out & hope you had a chance to enjoy our 60 degree days last week :)

Bridgete said...

You're right, it was growing cobwebs.

I did have a chance to enjoy that weather. It was very nice after that 10 degrees or whatever that was the week before.